Monday, February 3, 2014

Response to: Aesop, Aristotle, and Animals: The Role of Fables in Human Life



In this article by Edward Clayton, he starts off discussing how Aesop’s and early Greek fables were perceived in similar ways.  According to Clayton, the general messages in both fables were “…those who lack power must obey and try not to anger those who have it if they are to avoid bringing about their own destruction.”  At the same token, Clayton argues that this should not be the only way the fables should be interpreted. He states that this particular interpretation would refer to humans as being exactly like animals; he instead argues that while there are similar qualities between humans and animals there is one major difference. Humans have the ability to reason and it is with that reason that more ideals of “…democracy, equality and justice rather than hierarchy, power and exploitation” should be learned from these fables.

 On another note, the connections that the philosopher Aristotle made between humans and animals is what interested me the most in the article. His first idea about “tame” and “wild” really stood out to me. He discussed how humans are the only form of animal that have the ability to tame another animal. You can take this a step further. For instance, Aristotle refers to children as “wild” animals that are taught to learn over the years and grow with society. It’s just an idea! I would have never made an attempt to connect this to children It surprises me how Aristotle was able to formulate such a complex idea.

 I have been familiar with Aesop’s fables in the past. Looking back, I have always seen his fables as teaching a lesson but never looked at them past a device used to teach or give morals. After reading this article by Edward Clayton, I have decided to look at these fables in a new light. The article has opened my mind so that I can now see these fables on a grand scale, with worldly application which transcends time.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Lamont,
    I totally agree with your perspective on what Clayton argues. I also believe that there are similar qualities between humans and animals, yet they share one particular difference-we reason and they do not.Which is why I also came to realization just as you did that these fables were meant for more than just entertainment, they accentuate real world applications that go beyond animals and folktales.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also think that Aristotle's connections between animals and humans were interesting. It was the most interesting part of the article. I'm not entirely sure of the purpose of the fables but I agree with you that this article did open my eyes to possible other meanings they could have had.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your right when you say that there are very similar traits that we we humans share with the animals in the fables. I think that its always easier for people to see what some of their faults are when there pointed out by animal mistakes. Most of the time people wont say that they made a mistake but will internalize the messages and lessons that these fables try to teach the reader.

    ReplyDelete